My mom makes this for breakfast on special occasions or just whenever blueberries are on sale at the grocery store. It's a sweet breakfast treat that is delightful with coffee, savory eggs, and fresh fruit.
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp lemon zest
1/2 cup buttermilk (or milk)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup softened butter
2. In one large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to beat sugar, butter, egg, vanilla and lemon zest. Once smooth, stir in the buttermilk. You can use regular milk if buttermilk isn't available.
3. Sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Stir in fresh berries. Spread batter into greased 9" square pan.
5. To make the crumb topping, use a fork to combine the butter, sugar, flour and cinnamon. Sprinkle crumb topping.
6. Bake 40-45 min. or until toothpick comes out clean and top is golden. Let cool before cutting.
Prep time: 20
Bake time: 40+
Serves: 6 people