These are easy to make with pantry staples and taste like a lighter version of falafel. This recipe makes 4 burgers but, truth-be-told, I have to double this recipe most nights to feed my family of bottomless pits.
2 cups puffed rice cereal (such as Rice Krispies)
15 oz can of chickpeas (drained)
6 green onions, roughly chopped (substitute 1/3 cup chives)
4 Tb Greek yogurt
1.5 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp pepper
4 tsp olive oil
1. Pour 2 cups puffed rice cereal into large food processor and pulse until cereal is the consistency of bread crumbs.
2. Add chives and drained chickpeas to the rice cereal crumbs in the food processor and pulse 5-6 times.
3. In a large mixing bowl, use a whisk to thoroughly combine 2 eggs, 4 Tb yogurt, spices, and olive oil.
4. Pour the chickpea mixture into the bowl with eggs. Stir until everything is an even consistency. Use your hands to pat into 4 burger patties.
5. Heat a non-stick skillet on medium and coat the pan with a drizzle olive oil. Cook chickpea burgers until light brown, about 4 minutes per side. Serve on pita bread, buns, or salad and top with your favorite burger fixin's.
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes