This is one of my favorite soups for spring and summer. This recipe only uses 4 strips of bacon, so I like to fry-up the remaining bacon and serve this soup with BLTs. You can even add a pound of shrimp to the pot so it's a more hearty meal.
4 slices of thick-cut bacon (chopped into small pieces)
2 onions (3 cups, chopped small)
1 ¾ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
¼ tsp turmeric
4 cups of yukon gold potatoes (3-4 potatoes chopped small)
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup half and half
4 cups frozen corn (one 10oz bag + 1 cup)
1 cup sharp cheddar (shredded)
1. Cook bacon and onions in large pot until bacon begins to brown and the onions are translucent.
2. Add turmeric, pepper, and salt then stir to combine.
3. Add chicken stock and potatoes. Cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
4. Add one 10-oz bag of frozen corn and 1 cup half-and-half.
5. Use a stick blender to grind the potatoes, corn, and broth until it's a nice 'chowder' consistency.
6. Add the last 1 cup of frozen corn. Stir to combine and serve once the corn is heated through (about 2 minutes).
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Serves 4 people