With so many special things being cancelled or changed this holiday season, we have been making fancy "special" breakfasts almost every day. Plenty of time to celebrate when we're not rushing to the bus stop!
Panakuchen is a show-stopping breakfast that's easy to make and high in protein. It's unbelievably crispy and light. It's practically a popover.
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
3 Tb granulated sugar
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
6 Tb butter (2 Tb in each pie plate)
Top with fruit or jam. Dust with 1 Tb powdered sugar.
1. Preheat oven to 425 and place three 9" pie plates in the oven to heat up.
2. Add the eggs, milk, flour, granulated sugar, nutmeg and vanilla into blender or food processor. Blend for 1 minute until batter is smooth.
3. Remove hot pie plates from oven and drop 2 Tb butter into each, swirling around to coat sides of dish. Pour 1/3 of the batter into each dish slowly.
4. Bake for 20 minutes. Turn off the oven but leave panakuchen in the oven another 5 minutes.
5. Serve immediately with a dusting of powdered sugar, jam, or fruit.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Bake time: 25 minutes