My mom used to make this spinach pie regularly for dinner, but it makes a fabulous brunch too.
You can make your own pie crust or use a store bought pie shell to save time.
4 Tb butter
8 oz button mushrooms, sliced thin
1/2 cup shallots, finely chopped
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp pepper
3/4 tsp dried tarragon
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup half-and-half
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup bread, cut into small cubes
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 box frozen chopped spinach, 10-oz, thawed and drained
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Finely chop shallots and thinly slice mushrooms.
2. In a 10" skillet, melt 4 Tb butter and cook the mushrooms and shallots until tender. Add the 3/4 tsp salt, 3/4 tsp pepper, and 3/4 tsp dried tarragon and set aside off heat.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine 4 oz cream cheese, 1 cup half-and-half, 2 eggs, and 1/2 cup bread. Use a fork to break up the cream cheese into small pieces.
4. Squeeze out all the water from the thawed spinach; then add the drained spinach to the mixing bowl. Add 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and stir. Once cooled, pour the cooked mushroom & shallots into the mixing bowl, stirring thoroughly to combine.
5. Pour pie filling into frozen pie shell. Bake at 400° on the lowest oven rack for 30 minutes. Allow pie to rest for 10 minutes before serving.