During the 3 years I was perfecting my Lasagna Filling recipe, I probably made 50 pans of lasagna. I experimented with cottage cheese, various pasta sauces and different fresh veggie additions, but this classic ricotta version is a winner.
Here's our favorite timesaving trick: you don't need to pre-boil the noodles! Just soak them in hot tap water for a few minutes before you assemble. Make sure to bake it with a lid so the uncooked pasta has time to steam.
1 package of Mostly Made Lasagna Filling
9 lasagna noodles
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1.5 cup spaghetti sauce
16 oz ricotta cheese
½ cup parmesan, grated
1 egg, beaten
- Thaw Mostly Made Lasagna Filling by soaking bag in hot water or microwaving pouch for 2-5 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350° and soak lasagna noodles in hot tap water for 10 minutes.
- Stir together ricotta, egg and parmesan in a bowl.
- Assemble the lasagna:
- To prevent sticking, spread 3 Tb of spaghetti sauce on the bottom of a 9"x13" baking dish.
- Arrange 3 lasagna noodles on the bottom of the pan. Spread half of Mostly Made Lasagna Filling on top of the noodles. Dot half of the ricotta mixture on top of the Lasagna Filling then sprinkle with ½ cup mozzarella.
- Repeat with the 2nd layer, saving 1 cup of mozzarella for the top.
- Top with the last 3 lasagna noodles and cover with spaghetti sauce and shredded mozzarella.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes, then uncover and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Allow 10 minutes for lasagna to rest before slicing.
Serves 6 people ($5.12 each)
Assembly time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 45 minutes
Mostly Made Lasagna Filling: $12.99
Lasagna noodles: $3.71
Crushed tomatoes: $1.19
Total meal cost: $30.72
Cost per person: $5.12 each