During the 3 years I was perfecting my Lasagna Filling recipe, I probably made 50 pans of lasagna. I experimented with cottage cheese, various pasta sauces and different fresh veggie additions, but this classic ricotta version is a winner.
Here's our favorite timesaving trick: you don't need to pre-boil the noodles! Just soak them in hot tap water for a few minutes before you assemble. Make sure to bake it with a lid so the uncooked pasta has time to steam.
2 packages of Mostly Made Skillet Lasagna Meal Starter
9 lasagna noodles
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
16 oz ricotta cheese
½ cup parmesan, grated
1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350° and soak lasagna noodles in hot tap water for 10 minutes.
- Stir together ricotta, egg and parmesan in a bowl.
- Assemble the lasagna:
- To prevent sticking, spread 3 Tb of Skillet Lasagna Meal Starter on the bottom of a 9"x13" baking dish.
- Arrange 3 lasagna noodles on the bottom of the pan. Spread 1 1/4 cup of Mostly Made Skillet Lasagna on top of the noodles. Dot half of the ricotta mixture on top of the Skillet Lasagna Meal Starter then sprinkle with ½ cup mozzarella.
- Repeat with the 2nd layer, saving 1 cup of mozzarella for the top.
- Top with the last 3 lasagna noodles and cover with remaining Skillet Lasagna Meal Starter and shredded mozzarella.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes, then uncover and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Allow 10 minutes for lasagna to rest before slicing.